Sunday, April 4, 2010

Activism log #7

Enrique Irizarry
Jeannina Perez
WST 3015
April 4, 2010
Blog #7:

This past week has been composed of gathering information from schools and organizations. This is taking longer than expected because there are many schools with Women’s Studies departments. Getting the individual information of the schools to email our letters of awareness to them has been the most laborious work in our activism, to me at least. I do have most of the schools information with who I need to contact, but I’m still working on getting the rest. I have been slowly sending emails to the schools whose information I do have. Furthermore, I have also gathered a list of organizations that I will soon be sending emails out to. In the upcoming weeks our group will have accomplished the following: petition, emails to organizations and schools and representatives, and tabling. I petition has also been set up. I am proud to say that my name is the third one on the petition. This is another outlet for our project and our awareness. Now, with the use of the online petition and the face book, we are bound to get more support than in previous weeks. Here is the link to our petition just in case you would like to sign it! http://www.petitiononline.com/w2238868/petition.html

Up to this point in our project I am starting to see things evolve. A couple of weeks ago I believe that our group did feel inclined to making changes but we were somewhat at a standstill. Now that were moving and taking action, our project is more of a reality. As Megan Seely noted, “Listen. Read. Support. Advocate (67).” These words express exactly what we as a group are doing to bring awareness to everyone who feels the need to get such a movement going until it is enacted. Without a pure impulse of starving for change, I don’t think that I would have managed to get this far with a mission like ours. To conclude, from the words of Seely, “Get honest with yourself and about your actions.”

Works Cited

Seely, Megan. Fight like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist. New York: New York UP, 2007. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment